Advancing Data Science and Travel Data Analytics
The global leader in business travel management, CWT was one of the first agencies to introduce the widespread use of computer reservation systems and global reporting to European business travel customers. Fast-forward a few decades, and CWT embraced a new initiative, establishing a data science team to help them stay ahead of a rapidly digitizing travel industry.
Formerly Carlson Wagonlit Travel, CWT knew they needed a flexible, scalable data platform to support their newly-forming global team. The build vs. buy decision was simple: They didn't want to spend months establishing a DevOps team to build and manage such a platform. After a short search, they were referred to Cazena’s SaaS Data Lake.
In just days, they had their powerful SaaS Data Lake with AWS, Cloudera, RStudio, Python, SQL and other tools for analytics and data science. Running as SaaS on AWS meant that CWT didn’t have to hire any new cloud, data ops or security skills – everything is supported and managed by Cazena.
We’re 6 to 8 months ahead by having Cazena. The primary benefit is speed. Now the team has a structured place to share their data, work and ideas. Our data science team wants to spend their time adding value, rather than doing housekeeping work.”
- Uncover new ways to analyze, operationalize and monetize a wide variety of travel-related data
- Launch a new data science program and quickly enable a new team
- Implement a scalable, flexible platform to support an unknown future; plan for rapid analytic agility
- Minimize DevOps, IT impact or need for additional cloud, data or security skills
- Support a globally distributed team while meeting enterprise security and compliance requirements
CWT relies on Cazena’s SaaS Data Lake on AWS for data science and advanced analytics across significant volumes of travel-related data. RStudio and other tools are available via the Cazena AppCloud on AWS, while some users access Cazena with existing analytics, BI and data science tools.
The Data Lake is delivered as SaaS on AWS, so all management and operations are handled by Cazena. The SaaS Data Lake includes everything, embedding best of breed capabilities from Cloudera, AWS and others -- along with automation and built-in DevOps.
The SaaS Data Lake includes a variety of AWS products including Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3), Amazon Elastic Block Service (EBS), Amazon EC2, Amazon RDS and standard services such as Amazon VPC, AWS Transit Gateways, AWS Route 53, AWS Key Management Service and others.
- Cazena guaranteed – and delivered – a secure, production-ready environment on AWS that was immediately usable for data science from day one.
- Accelerated program launch and growth. Enabled most efficient use of resources. No DevOps have ever been required.
- Unified many sources into one SaaS Data Lake on AWS, which supports all analytics languages, tools and workloads used by different teams.
- Consistently delivers the performance, enterprise service, security and governance required by a multi-national corporation.
Now, the SaaS Data Lake on AWS is also accessed for BI and analytics, global data science consulting and other use cases. CWT is working on diverse challenges across many travel dimensions. They've already seen many benefits in analytic agility, improved services for clients and expect the biggest long-term ROI impacts to come from merchandising and finance programs.
We really concentrated on hiring our data science team rather than building the underpinnings. We were on the accelerated program. We’ve just turned Cazena on, handed it over to data scientists and they started loading data."
For a longer case study about CWT's Data Lake as a Service journey, complete the form below.